30 November 2008

Post Thanksgiving Ride...

Yesterday morning my Dad and I got out fairly early to go for a bike ride; something nice that he and I could do together! Well, it wasn't long and Dad turned to head back home. I thought "hmmm its cold but I've ridden in colder" so I decided to take off through some back streets of my hometown to a friends house. I really didn't know how far I would travel, but I had not ridden in a couple weeks so needless to say I was ready! About 3 miles in I was hitting the proverbial wall and thought "I'm halfway, so do I keep going or turn back"...I kept going and boy was my friend's wife surprised to see me show up in my riding gear!

Funny story...I asked where her husband was and she told me fishing. I said isn't it a little cold to be fishing? She said yes and asked what I was doing. Of course my response was riding my bike (as I stood there in my biking shorts)! Her response? Isn't it a little cold to be riding your bike? She made her point...

...however, I've been following another friends blog (La Belle Vie) and several weeks ago Lindsey made a very good point when it comes to getting outside in the cold to exercise. Whether one is riding or running you experience the sights, sounds and smells of nature that you just do not get in a vehicle. Lindsey made the observation that the cold air hitting her lungs felt so good! She's right...the cold air in my lungs, the smell of a wood stove burning and anticipating what the next mile would entail was such a great feeling!

2 comments:

Lindsey Broere said...

haha...that's funny. I'm sure you thought it was perfectly normal to be riding your bike in the cold.

Its great isn't it...

PS-Dad has some of his old cold weather biking gear if it gets too cold out there, you should give him a shout :-)

Natasha said...

That's dedication Patrick...I'm proud of you!! :)